Below are some general FAQs and their answers. If you have any questions that aren’t answered here please contact email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)1865 987211 and a member of our expert team will be happy to help.
Is JCS a publisher?
No, JCS is not a publisher. JCS is a subscription agent for many publishers, carefully selecting e-resources and negotiating with publishers to provide schools, with the best possible price. We also provide an online ordering system for resources.
Why use JCS instead of going directly to the publisher?
JCS have negotiated on the price of the resource with the publisher, to provide schools, with the best possible price. Plus the JCS team are here to help if you have any problems with your subscriptions. We discuss issues with the publisher on your behalf so you don’t have to.
Why is the price quoted by JCS less than going directly to the publisher?
JCS have negotiated on the price of the resource with the publisher, to provide schools, with the best possible price.
What is the JCS service fee and what does is cover?
The service JCS provides to schools and colleges covered by our fee includes:
- Seeking out and evaluating digital resources from trusted sources (eg academic publishers) to support teaching, learning and research needs in schools and colleges
- Providing a central point for teachers and librarians to find a collection of subject specific and cross-curricula quality resources for schools and colleges
- Negotiating with these publishers on behalf of all schools and colleges, to achieve the best possible pricing for a range of high quality e-resources making significant savings for schools
- Negotiating generous terms and conditions of use laid out in the licence
- Negotiating the opportunity for schools to trial, for free, the resources (and not just see a sample of the content)
- Providing schools with a My JCS account – a quick and easy-to-use online ordering service available 24/7 which also allows teachers to request free trials, get instant online quotations, subscribe to new resources, and manage existing subscriptions
- Acting as the primary contact with publishers on behalf of subscribing schools to enable any problems to be resolved quickly and efficiently
- Providing a regional account executive to help with questions about the resources, technical queries, and pricing
Can I purchase a resource, rather than subscribe?
No, all of our resources are available on a subscription basis only.
How do I check how much my renewal will cost?
A renewal reminder will automatically be sent to the primary contact of your account 90 days prior your subscriptions’ renewal start date which will have itemized prices of your online resources. If you need an indication of the cost prior to the reminder, please feel free to contact your account executive on +44 (0)1865 987211 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Will I be notified when my subscription comes up for renewal?
Yes! A renewal reminder will automatically be sent to the primary contact of your account 90 days prior your subscriptions’ renewal start date.
What is My JCS?
My JCS is the name of our online subscription service. It’s a completely free, no-obligation subscription management account which gives you 24/7 access to request free trials, price quotes and order new subscriptions.
When will my new subscription start?
Subscriptions begin on the first of each month, so if you have ordered a subscription for a particular month, the publisher will be in contact on or just before the first of the month with details of your subscription, including access details. Subscriptions can take up to 72 hours to setup, so we encourage customers to order before the end of the month to ensure access is setup promptly.
How can I get usage statistics for my resource(s)?
Usage statistics can be generated for the majority of our resources, either within administration accounts or by requesting them through JCS.
I’m new to my institution and they already subscribe to resources through JCS – what do I need to do?
You can either call us on +44(0)1865 987211 and speak to a member of the team, or alternatively send your details to email@example.com and someone will contact you promptly to discuss your institution’s subscription(s) and help with any queries. JCS will contact the relevant publishers on your behalf to change the contact for the subscription.
What is involved with a free trial?
Free trials for resources are 14 days, and no obligation. You can trial up to four resources at one time. You will be provided with a username and password, which you can share with school staff and students if you wish to. We can give you a short feedback form to share with staff so you can hear their views to help make your decision on whether to go forward and subscribe.
How do I cancel my subscription?
Your automatic subscription renewal can be cancelled at any time (but no later than 60 days prior to renewal) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
I have a subscription through another provider, but you offer the same resource at a better rate. Can I switch to JCS?
Yes, when your current subscription expires please contact us and we will be able to assist you with a smooth transition (your access arrangement for the resource will remain the same, although the invoice will come from JCS rather than your current provider/subscription agent).
How do I subscribe to JCS?
You can not subscribe to JCS. JCS is a subscription agent, not a resource. You can however sign up for a My JCS account, a free no-obligation subscription management account which gives you 24/7 access to request free trials, price quotes and order new subscriptions.
Can I subscribe to a resource for just my class or cohort?
Due to license arrangements with the publishers, a subscription must cover all potential users of the resource, and therefore the whole school or college (in most cases). Some resources such as Nature Journal, allow a sixth form-only license. We understand not all students and staff may use the resource, which is why JCS always negotiate the lowest possible price per student.
Can I pay by credit card?
Yes we are able to offer payment via credit card. Please contact email@example.com for more information on how to do this.
Can I have an invoice in PDF format?
Yes! You can download a PDF invoice by logging into your ‘My JCS’ account, clicking on ‘Subscription’ ——-> ‘Print Invoice’ or request a copy directly from our finance team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is it possible to add a purchase order to my invoice?
Purchase Order numbers can be added to an invoice before or after an invoice has been issued. Please forward a copy of the Purchase Order to email@example.com
How do I subscribe/order?
You will need to place an order through your ‘My JCS’ account here. If you do not have a ‘My JCS’ account, you can register here. Once logged in, you can create a quote for the resource you would like to subscribe to and proceed. To complete the order, you will need to have authorisation to make purchases on behalf of your institution, and know the following details:
- Name and email details of your chosen invoicing contact.
- Have a purchase order (PO) number if a purchase order is required by your institution (please note JCS do not accept purchase orders by themselves as a confirmation of order. An order must be placed through your ‘my JCS’ account).
- Know how you would like students and staff to access the resource. You can view an explanation of the different options here. Please consult your I.T department for help with this if required.
Can my students access our resources from home?
Yes, all resources available through JCS are accessible remotely. If your institution chooses IP Authentication to access a resource, a username and password will be provided for remote access.
Who is authorized to use our subscriptions?
Staff and students from your institution are authorized to use your subscriptions. Login details should not be shared with external institutions or third parties.