Licensing and technical information
The JCS Licence
The Licence is the document that contains all the terms and conditions of use associated with the online resource, detailing what can and can’t be done, by whom, for how long and what happens if there are any problems...
The Licence that JCS uses for all of its publisher agreements is based upon the JISC Collections Model Licence which has been specially drafted to include all of the terms and conditions that an educational institution and its users need in order to enable them to maximise the benefits of the online resources they subscribe to. Generally this means that it will be more favourable than any standard commercial licence.
Terms and conditions – a summary
The Licence is an important document and should be read carefully before signing the Agreement but to assist in the understanding of it the following summarises the key points:
USE OF THE RESOURCE (Section 3)
- The resources can be used in lessons and for independent learning
- They can be used on interactive whiteboards and within learning platforms
- Excerpts from resources can be printed and/or saved electronically.
- Excerpts from resources can be incorporated into teaching materials and student projects, providing appropriate acknowledgement is made for each item.
- An unlimited number of staff and students can access resources concurrently.
RESTRICTIONS (Section 4 of the Licence)
The licensee (or any of its users) must not:
- Sell or resell the resources or any of its elements
- Alter, adapt or modify the resource
- Make the resource (or any of its elements) available on the open web
- Use the resource for commercial use.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE LICENSEE (Section 5)
- Make sure only authorised users (the students and teachers in the school/6th form college) is issued with the access information
- Use all reasonable effort to ensure the authorised users are aware of the terms and conditions of the Licence
- Let the publisher know of any changes to access arrangements eg change of IP address
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PUBLISHER (Section 6)
- The publisher will make sure the subscribing institution has access 24 hours 7 days a week except when they need to do routine maintenance and will make all efforts to restore access as soon as possible.
- The publisher will provide a choice of access options which, subject to restrictions at the individual institution, will enable access in school and from home.
- The publisher guarantees that the content of the online resource is copyright cleared for educational use.
- The publisher will provide customer and technical support via email or phone between 9am and 5pm GMT.
- Endeavour to make the resources as accessible as possible and comply with W3C standards.
- Provide usage statistics free of charge to subscribing institutions/organisations.
TERM AND TERMINATION OF THE LICENCE (Section 9)
- The Agreements will remain in place until the Licence end date (unless terminated earlier) which is specified in the Licence for each resource. Please note that the end dates are not necessarily the same for each resource.
- The publisher can terminate the Agreement with 2 months written notice to the Licensee.
- The Licensee can terminate the Agreement with 2 months (60 days) notice prior to the annual renewal date to JCS. (NB JCS will issue renewal notices 90 days prior to the renewal date.)
The list of Licences negotiated by JCS on behalf of the schools sector can be found here.