Living Language and Literature Online
Interactive support for students taking A level English Language and A level English Language and Literature exams...
Living Language and Literature Online provides interactive support for all the main awarding bodies' specifications for A Level English and English Language and Literature through comprehensive exam and coursework sections for each unit.
Living Language and Literature is revised and enhanced each year.
Content and special features
- A wide range of activities and resources for students: On-screen explanations, printable resources (such as transcripts, texts and commentaries) and interactive activities (such as drag and drop and sorting exercises) enable students to analyse, transform and create texts and extracts.
- Interactive commentaries by examiners and moderators.
- Audio material helps students analyse performance texts, transcripts of spoken language and varieties of English. Examples include listening to an eye-witness account in order to write a news item, defining the idiolect and sociolect of teenagers, and analysing the target audience of a radio phone-in show.
- Extension material for the brightest: A* students will benefit from the challenging extension materials covering literary and linguistic theory, supported by interactive exercises.
- Easy-to-use, comprehensive glossary: Includes references to all key linguistic terms and theories within the site.
"It’s superb to have these resources available online – there simply aren’t enough of these around for English Language or Literature. They’re directly targeted at the A level specifications and are extremely helpful for teachers when planning their lessons."
Mandy Foster, English Department, The Duchess’s Community High School
Relevance to the National Curriculum
The content is fully in line with the requirements of the specifications on offer from all the examining bodies for A level English Language and English Language and Literature.
Support for teachers
Teachers can use Living Language and Literature Online for both whole-class and individual student teaching. Exam and coursework practice for each unit and each examining board will be available soon.
Download the quick start guide.
Training sessions can be booked by subscribing schools.